After a successful debut in 2018, guests visiting The Big Event in Birmingham this June will once again be able to take advantage of a number of expert speaker sessions.
Attendees at the free event, which takes place on Friday 28 and Saturday 29 June 2019, will be able to attend several talks between 10am and 3pm. The talks will cover a range of topics related to the Motability Scheme and disability motoring, including top tips for visiting a dealer, more information on Wheelchair Accessible Vehicles (WAVs) and adaptations, as well as guest speakers Helen Dolphin MBE and Driving Mobility.
Held at the fully accessible Birmingham NEC and with free parking for all visitors, The Big Event is the Motability Scheme’s flagship event of the summer, hosting the UK’s biggest display of vehicles for disabled people. As well as the speaker sessions, guests can also test drive a range of vehicles, including a wide selection fitted with popular driving adaptations, and peruse a selection of WAVs, adaptations, scooters and powered wheelchairs. The event also features a track that can be used to test the range of mobility scooters available.
Between 10am and 3pm across both event days, visitors can attend hourly speaker sessions, each approximately 20 minutes long. The sessions will also be live-streamed on the Motability Scheme Facebook page, for those unable to attend on the day. The line-up for the sessions is as follows:
10am and 3pm – The Motability Scheme – everything you need to know about how to get started? Chris Edwards, Motability Events Ambassador, Motability Operations Ltd
11am – Blue Badges, eligibility and parking. Helen Dolphin MBE
12 noon – Travelling in your wheelchair – an introduction to Wheelchair Accessible vehicles. Graham Lloyd , WAV and Adaptations Account Manager, Motability Operations Ltd
1pm – Driving assessment centres – hear about the advice and support available. Colin Barnett, CEO Regional Driving Assessment Centre Driving Mobility
The Big Event also offers plenty of free activities to entertain the younger guests including balloon modelling, a bouncy castle, face painting and the chance to take a selfie with the Motability Scheme mascot, Billy the Bear. The event is open 9am-4pm on both days and on arrival all visitors will be treated to a free tea, coffee or soft drink. As well as accessible toilet facilities throughout the venues there are also sensory quiet rooms and ear defenders available for guests who require them.
Find out more about The Big Event speaker line-up online at motability.co.uk/thebigevent
Full programme of 2019 One Big Day events:
- The Big Event, NEC, Birmingham: Friday 28 and Saturday 29 June 2019, 9am-4pm
- One Big Day at Westpoint, Exeter, Saturday 27 July 2019
- One Big Day at Yorkshire Event Centre, Harrogate, Saturday 10 August 2019
- One Big Day at East of England Arena, Peterborough, Saturday 7 September 2019
- One Big Day at Royal Highland Centre, Edinburgh, Saturday 21 September 2019
For more information on leasing a car, scooter or powered wheelchair through the Motability Scheme, visit motability.co.uk or call 0800 953 7000
About the Motability Scheme:
- The Motability Scheme is the UK’s leading car scheme for disabled people. It provides affordable, convenient, worry-free motoring to over 625,000 disabled customers and their families. Scooters and powered wheelchairs can also be leased through the Motability Scheme.
- The Scheme is available to anyone who receives the Higher Rate Mobility Component of the Disability Living Allowance, the Enhanced Rate of the Mobility Component of Personal Independence Payment or the War Pensioners’ Mobility Supplement or the Armed Forces Independence Payment. Motability Operations Ltd arranges for the relevant lease payments to be automatically deducted from the customer’s weekly higher rate mobility allowance and paid directly to us by the Department for Work and Pensions or Veterans UK.
- When leasing a Motability Scheme car, insurance for two named drivers, servicing and maintenance, full RAC breakdown assistance, tyre and windscreen replacement and 60,000 mileage allowance over three years are all included in the cost of the lease. A range of popular car adaptations are also available at no additional cost.
- When leasing a scooter or powered wheelchair, insurance, breakdown assistance, servicing, maintenance and repairs and tyre and battery replacement are all included in the cost of the lease. Pricing is standard nationwide.
- There is a wide range of ‘green’ vehicles with emissions of 100g of CO2 per km or less available through the Scheme.
- Motability is a Registered Charity in England and Wales (number 299745) and is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (reference number 736309). Motability also provides grants to customers, who would otherwise be unable to afford the mobility solution they need.
- Motability Operations Ltd is an independent company that operates the Motability Scheme under contract to Motability (the charity). Any profits are non-distributable and are reinvested for the benefit of customers. Motability Operations Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority under reference number 735390.